Fastest speed: 45.6 mph
Total number of hours spent riding: 223
Equivalent number of consecutive viewings of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (extended versions): 19Welcome to South Dakota
I took my first rest day at a couch surfer's house in Rapid City. Arik, the host, was wonderfully generous with his house and food and instruments, and his place turned out to be something of a hub of activity in the city; four other couch surfers were there with me, along with any number of neighbors and friends and even dogs that seemed to drift in from the bushes and hang out and tell stories for a spell. I walked into his house dirty, tired and sunburnt; after finding myself a mason jar of water and noting the NPR on the radio in the background, I knew I'd be staying a day. Rested and rejuvenated, I set out for the Badlands.
Heading into the badlands...
...and the subsequent citation.
The nightly storms have been incredible, far and away more violent than anything I experienced in Wyoming. With the sprawling openness of the land and skies, you can see a storm coming from far away, but they roll in fast. There have been nights where my tarp simply did not provide me adequate shelter, but one of the more fortunate features of the landscape of South Dakota is the abundance of abandoned barns and houses; I've slept in several of them, and I really don't know what I would've done without them. (Consequently, I've found an old abandoned pot plantation on more than one occasion.)
Some of the local weeds.
I'm in Minneapolis right now, staying with a Mennonite intentional community, whose members are quite well-versed in the arts of dumpstering and biking and all those nifty city things. I think I'm going to stay for a day and explore the city, and then it's off on a whirlwind metropolitan tour of Madison, Milwaukee and Chicago by way of the Mississippi. I was kind of hoping to be in Chicago in time for Critical Mass next Friday, but that's still a good 500 miles down the road, so probably not this time.

oh, you do spin a good yarn (even when not wearing a stitch)
ReplyDeleteThis was by far the best entry EVER!!! HAHAHA you got busted for public nudity that made me crack up so much!!!
ReplyDeleteAhhh I love you so much and I'm so overwhelmed with happiness for you, this is truly the experience of a lifetime. I can't wait to see you and I wish the best for you!!!
<3